A Knock At The Door


If your house looks like this, you probably expect a knock or two at your front door. This house called to me....loudly.  I parked in the street in front of the house, and walked up the driveway. I didn't knock at the door, because I had seen that the owners were in the garage, creating another something for their house and/or yard. 

I introduced myself, told them I was inspired to stop, and was then treated to a private tour of the outer limits of their home. They showed me this; they showed me that, and a little bit more of this and that.  Obviously, they're huge Packer fans, and I knew they would be welcoming. They're very proud of their home...neat as a pin and all dressed up to go somewhere.. It reminded me of a little girl, playing with her mom's jewelry, and putting it all on at once. These were wonderful, warm, and welcoming people...I was invited to stop again.

Then, we have this...


How could you just drive by this house, without stopping??  I stopped, and I met Sally, as she was rearranging and tidying. She's like no one I've ever known, and her story puts this all into perspective. She decorates for every holiday, and if there's not a holiday on the horizon, she'll decorate for the season. Her house is small, and I can't imagine where everything is stored in the "off" season. If you had been with me, you would have seen that nothing was out of place. She has a rhyme and reason for everything. She's out early in the morning, picking up any leaves or twigs that might fall. NEAT AS A PIN (it really is). Sally's story is tragic, and it's not mine to tell. I've stopped to talk with her several times, now...she always invites me back. If you ever want to meet Sally, tag along sometime.

I met the most wonderful couple here...


I blogged about their house a couple of years ago, after walking by it for the last twenty years, or so, and LOVING it. I finally knocked on their door and was immediately welcomed into their home. I spent more than an hour visiting with them, hearing their life's story and touring their home. The house, inside, is just as I knew it would be...teacups, roses, the smell of roses, and flowered upholstery. 

Every now and then, I stop in the country, which is probably not the brightest. If I hadn't knocked on a door, though, I wouldn't have had this....



or this...


It was raining pretty hard when I took these last two pictures, so they're not very clear. It was a gloomy day, that would be forgotten, had I not stopped to take these pictures.

One thing I was reminded of by my sister, though, is that this is Wisconsin, and I need to be careful.  I've been invited to stay at a couple of homes for dinner.... she said I was lucky to be invited for dinner, rather than as dinner. Something to keep in mind.

Comments