Please, Won't You Join Me For Breakfast?


I want to have breakfast on this little balcony...a croissant, fresh fruit, and coffee.  I want flowers on the table, a gentle breeze (to invite the leaves to dance), and the warm, morning sun on my face.  I want the luxury of a morning, where I have nowhere to go...and nowhere to be.  I would love it, if you could join me on my balcony...for breakfast, conversation, and coffee.  You must wear your jammies, your most comfy slippers, and...your best disposition.

But wait, this balcony won't support a small table with flowers and breakfast.  It won't support the two of us, and, look...there really isn't a room from which we can gracefully open the door to the balcony...it's a FACADE.  Oh, the disappointment.  But wait, LOOK UP.....my brief reverie switches to...another.

As these balconies sit quietly and benignly, creating a beautiful facade for the lower half of this building, WHAT is going on upstairs?  The blinds are closed tightly...almost reflecting the light and the life from the street below.  Why do we not want even a remnant of this evening, that will soon turn to night?  Outside our comfy cocoon, another world exists.  Below us might be a facade, but below that, it gets real. 

What a dichotomy, this building.  The lifeless, beautiful facade, and the real...where people get cozy in their cocoons, and shut out the life that's not theirs.  Sometimes, we just don't have enough, to take on the world below. 

Interesting, where your imagination can take you, on a lovely downtown walk at dusk.  Most people were watching where they were walking...thinking of where they had to go, or what to make for dinner.  I saw a beautiful facade, a choice to shut out the world, and...a perfect, perfect setting for a Hitchcock type movie...can't you just see him, peering out the window on the left?




Comments