A Left Turn Off The Highway



So, today I took a solo drive. What's the beauty of a solo drive, you might ask? Well, if on a whim, you want to turn left off the highway, you turn left off the highway. Sure, maybe you can only go 45 mph, but that's all the better, for taking in the sights. I mean, just look at what I was able to enjoy today....


A slow-down town to 25 mph, in Bear Creek. Look at their lovely little banners, and how proudly they're displayed. There are about 10 of these, and while that statement of civic pride may not impress everyone who takes that left turn off the highway, there are those of us who are appreciative.


Today was a cabbage harvest day. Not this field, maybe, but others. I could tell something was up, as my nose led me to the harvest. I have to admit, not the best smell, but it's the smell of money, for some.



It's time to harvest that corn, but an unlucky landowner here, is faced with a challenge. I can't begin to imagine how stressful this might be. I find the weather, sometimes, to be inconvenient. A field like this lends perspective.

I love the back road, and where it takes you. These small towns, I'm guessing, won't be here a decade or two from now, so enjoy them while you can. Appreciate their efforts to display their civic pride, and stop in somewhere, for coffee and a chat. A gas station is a great stop, and conversation flows, when you want to talk about their little town, just a left turn off the highway. Try it...you can't go wrong. So it takes you a little longer to get where you're going...sometimes, the "getting there" is the best part.


Comments