I Don't Know the Protocol

 



I don't know the protocol, nor does my husband. You read one thing, then another. Also, depends on whose protocol you might choose to follow. Sometimes, when you're hoping for black and white, all you see, are shades of gray. Long story short...on one of our walks, my husband found two ten dollar bills folded together, on a sidewalk. 

The sidewalk was in a local park, where it was clear to us, a young man had spent the night with his belongings...in a baseball dugout. No one else was around when the money was found, so we considered it "found" money. Of course, normally we would try to find who it belonged to, but like I said, no one else was around (early morning). 

Protocol is possibly what I would, at least, consider...had I known what it was, but my husband didn't think twice. Before I knew it, he walked over to the dugout, and handed the money to the young man, who was fully awake. I watched from a few feet away and could hear their brief exchange. He thanked him and mustered a hesitant smile. I hope he bought breakfast and maybe lunch, too, but the choice was his. Right or wrong? Not sure, but we didn't reach in our pocket for the money. We have often purchased food for unhoused people...not groceries, but a sandwich, a salad, etc. ...just something easy to hand someone as you're walking by. Never, though, have we given money...except the found money.

Does this raise the ire of some, and make them want to lecture us? Most likely. I get that, and can think of all the reasons why. Still, though....




Comments